Wednesday 14 September 2016

Banana Bread - How I've missed you!!!

So, I just about went to nirvana making this recipe for Banana Bread by the Merry Makers Sisters - so it's not 100% LCHF but I figured, if I'm going to have a treat I might as well make it a paleo, sugar free and gluten free one! I double the recipe, used xylitol in place of the honey and also added baking soda because my go-to carb and sugar heavy version had it and made a loaf - you could hardly tell it's a healthier version and I LOVE IT! I ate it with slabs of salted butter, so yummeh..

Unfortunately for me, those two slices I had amounts to something like 523 calories and 27 carbs - so IF I'm going to have this, I'll probably need to make it my only meal or something hahahaha! I'm thinking it won't blow me totally out of keto, but hey, it's a lifelong adjustment so I'll take the slow losses as long as I can still eat things I love like banana bread!!

In other news, we had some pretty bad news on Monday - my husbands' grandad passed away so I took the day off work and we spent some quality time together as a family. We went to this cafe we had planned to go to (Porto and Fi) and had lunch there. They had what seemed like a very low carb meal (Lamb cutlets with cauli rice + grilled aubergines) and I thought PARFAIT, I shall have zat! But turns out, the cauli rice was probably mixed in with some quinoa or some other sort of grain, which is trop des problemes in this scenario! I really think they should've put it in the friggin menu at least!

Anyhoo, in our time there we saw the waitress bring out pails upon pails of lovely, crisp looking curly fries (clearly a best-seller!) and I thought, we have to redeem this trip, so we ordered a pail to share. It was DIVINE and worth it I tell you. They were so crisp and crunchy and just *poofed* in my mouth at the slightest bite - yummmmmoooo! I had probably 4-5 curly wurlies and let hubs have the rest, and I was happy. It's been two days now and I haven't felt any setback so yayyyy! Can't afford to let slip too many times though, I really want this lifestyle to stick so I need to look at ways to recreate my fav treats - so maybe next up would be recreating french fries?? It'll probably have to be sweet potato fries which we all know is so damn good.. But maybe I can one-up it and make sweet potato mojo jojos mwahahaha.. That'll be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment